Who doesn’t love French bulldogs? Their adorable faces and friendly demeanor make them an ideal companion for most households. Frenchies are also easy to take care of and are known for being adaptable to their environment.
If you’re looking for AKC registered Frenchies, we have plenty of adorable pups you’re sure to fall in love with. When browsing puppies, you’ll notice a range of colors and markings on the coats, from gorgeous lilac to classic brindle. That’s because French bulldogs do come in a variety of colors. One thing to keep in mind is, there are both AKC approved colors and colors that haven’t been approved, which are known as the rare Frenchie colors.
What color puppy you choose is up to you as long as you’re buying a healthy pup from a trusted breeder.
AKC Approved Colors for Frenchies
These are the colors the AKC approved when the breed was first recognized over a century ago. Since then, breeders have been able to bring out other gorgeous shades. The original Frenchie colors are:
- White – A white Frenchie will have an all-white or predominately white coat. They may also have a pink rim around their eyes.
- Brindle – With this color, the dog will have a mostly dark coat with lighter stripes or markings.
- Fawn – These classic French Bulldogs have a soft brown color to a light brownish-red color.
- Pied – A pied French bulldog will be mostly white with dark patches, often around the eyes and ears, but they can also have black marks on the body.
- Cream – Where white Frenchies will often have a pink or reddish tint around their eyes, cream bulldogs have darker eye rims and lips. Their coat can have a toasted marshmallow shade to a very light brown color.
- Brindle and white – With this type of coat, there are white patches and patches of brindle.
Rare French Bulldog Colors
Aside from these traditional colors, there are what are known as ‘rare colors.’ These colors aren’t that rare anymore as many experienced breeders have healthy, adorable Frenchies available in these strikingly beautiful colors. They include:
- Blue fawn
If you want to make a chocolate Frenchie puppy or a cute little blue-coated French bulldog a part of your family, but are concerned about the color, don’t be. The color has nothing to do with the health of your puppy. The dogs with rare colors can be just as healthy, vibrant, and loving as those with traditional colors. Cream, brindle, fawn, and the other approved colors are simply the originals that existed when the AKC first recognized this adorable toy bulldog breed.
What you should do, however, is always make sure to buy your puppy from a recognized breeder. At Royal Empire French Bulldogs, we carefully breed our puppies and carry complete records of each dog’s bloodline. We also allow the pups plenty of time with their mother and siblings so they can develop healthy social skills and grow into strong Frenchie puppies before going to their forever home. Usually, you can take your Frenchie home at around two months.
If you have any questions on AKC registered Frenchies and want to know more about the colors and character traits of any of our puppies, reach out at any time. We understand you want to know as much as possible about a puppy before they become a member of your family. Contact us today to learn more.